From:
John Tucker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Nov 2009 14:43:34 -0600
To all interested individuals,

There is no scientifically established explanation for why gastropods
resorb inner whorls.  It has not been explored experimentally.  I could
be calcium conservation but I doubt that.  Calcium is a pretty easily
available mineral in salt water systems. I would feel that it is more a
means to conserve space in tightly coiled shells such as in cones and
olives.  I think also this is the commonly cited reason in studies of
resorption in cone shells.  This phenomenon occurs in other snails
besides those previously mentioned.  It occurs in Conorbis, an extinct
genera of conid but not in Cryptoconus, another similar genus.  This was
established by Von Koenen in the 1860's.  I also occurs in at least one
Mitridae genus Pterygia.  I know this because I have x-rayed two species
of the genus and both resorb the inner whorls.

Yours,

John