From:
Bob Dayle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Dec 2009 12:30:31 +1100
For any interested:

I picked up a rock a couple of days ago while walking on an abandoned railroad
grade. It had a different color and more 'texture' than a lot of the grey-blue
ancient sea bottom variety, of which I have cracked many.

This one weighs about a kilogram. It fractured into four pieces on the second
'tap' with a six-pound (~2.4 kilogram) sledge hammer. I found a geode inside,
just as I had hoped; however, the shape was hardly expected.

I have posted a page with photos. (Pardon the lack of image quality. I just
received this USB microscope and I am still getting the hang of using it.)

The page is at:

http://cowry.org/research/snailcast.htm

If anyone is a fossil geek and has an idea as to the type of snail shell that
caused it, please drop me a line.

Bob Dayle
webmaster - http://cowry.org