From:
Allen Aigen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Dec 2009 10:12:45 -0500
I am sure that you can get better information, but since no one else
touched it, I will try.  First, it is probably Paleozoic.  The
Pleurotomariaceans (slit shells) were often dominant in  gastropod
faunas.  But that means there are many genera to choose from, although
the long slit is not too common.  Secondly you need to make a cast of the
natural mold that you exposed.  If the surface is well preserved, and not
too obscured by the crystals inside or by recrystalization of the
surrounding aragonite mud to calcite (limestone) outside, you can have a
nice representation of the shell in rubber.  (Probably the easiest way is
to convince your dentist to mix up some of the material he makes
impressions with and squeeze it carefully into the molds to minimize air
bubbles.)  Then you can start with the Treatise volume on Gastropods and
work from there.  You may also want to bring the rock to a local college
with a geology program as they may be familiar with the formation it came
from, which can greatly help narrow down your search.  Good luck!