From:
Thomas Eichhorst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Feb 2010 10:40:50 -0700
Oh yeah.  It is a big time problem that is getting worse.  The old original
scanners had a depth of field of almost an inch.  I scanned a Lambis
truncatus once, worked great.  These early scanners worker pretty much like
old cameras with a pin hole aperture.  As higher resolutions were demanded
for photographs and such, they had to install lenses.  The higher the
magnification available through the lens, the shorter the depth of field.  I
have been through five scanners in the last decade and can really see the
difference.  A digital camera works great, but for many applications a
scanner was better.  No special lighting required, shells are all imaged in
the same position, immediate hook up to computer photo programs, etc.  The
older scanners are still sometimes available, but need an older computer
operating system to match the out-of-date drivers.