From:
David Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 2010 18:27:15 -0500
> whether or not diseases could be transmitted by any American freshwater mollusks.

A few additional notes:

Eating freshwater or terrestrial mollusks raw would give high risk for
getting some unusual (at least for humans) parasites.  Also, there
could be bacteria or other microrganisms in or on the mollusks, plus
the issue of pollutants or other health hazards.  The latter relate to
the general water quality, though conceivably the mollusks could
accumulate the hazardous substance/organism in higher concentrations
than average in the water.

One of the major host species for human schistosomiasis, Biomphalaria
glabrata, is present in the southern U.S. and possibly at warm-water
settings elsewhere (e.g., near nuclear plant discharges).  Other
invasive or native species might possibly be able to host that or
other nasty diseases, but there is significant inter-population
variation in suceptibility (associated with cryptic speciation in some
cases).

Native and invasive freshwater species can be hosts of various
parasites that affect animals.  Potomac horse fever is a somewhat
complicated example-pleurocerids host flukes that host a virus that
causes the disease.  Swimmer's itch happens when schistosome larvae of
a species that can't live in humans mistakenly attack a human.  The
larvae bore into the skin and then die, creating an immune reaction.

--
Dr. David Campbell
425 Scientific Collections