From:
"José H. Leal" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 2010 09:18:18 -0400
Hi Everyone,

This is in reply to Lyle’s request for information on COA membership; it is basically $25/year for domestic memberships (this includes bulk mailing of four issues of American Conchologist. Please find more relevant info at http://www.conchologistsofamerica.org/join/. (Membership is a bargain if you consider the high quality of American Conchologist, if nothing else.)

This thread has been very enlightening to me, showing interesting and diverse points of view regarding the convention and, most of all, the bourse. I am sure the COA board will take all these comments and suggestions very seriously when choosing venues for upcoming conventions and refining the logistics of the bourse. For those not acquainted with the bourse, it is a show in itself; nowhere else can one see so many of the latest finds and rare specimens under one roof. Of course we want to encourage you to buy at the bourse, but even if you don’t, you’ll enjoy the camaraderie and the visual impact at the bourse.

And, yes, as mentioned by Tom Eichorst in his earlier message, the COA grants program (which draws mostly from convention revenues and shell club funds) is very well-established within the academic community as a means of support for graduate students and young researchers in Malacology, in the USA and abroad. (I can attest to that, having received three COA grant awards, between 1989 and 1995.)

Become a member, go the convention, stay at the convention venue, support COA!

José H. Leal, VP, COA
José H. Leal, Ph.D., Director and Curator
The Bailey-Matthews Shell Museum
Editor, The Nautilus
www.shellmuseum.org

3075 Sanibel-Captiva Road
Sanibel, FL 33957 USA
(239)395-2233
fax (239)395-6706
 Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail