From:
Deborah Duval <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 2010 07:58:01 -0500
Dear Marlo and Alan--

I really have to applaud both of you on your clever sense of
humour--nonsensical or not.  Gives me a giggle during the long day.

Debbie

Deborah B. Duval
Family Service Center
Nicholls State University
P. O. Box 2131
Thibodaux, La.  70310
>>> Alan Kohn <[log in to unmask]> 07/28/10 6:03 PM >>>
A very good source to follow on the usage of such terms is L.R. Cox's
section  "Morphological terms" in the volume of the Treatise on
Invertebrate Paleontology that introduces gastropods (Vol. I, Mollusca
1, 1960).

Thread and lira are the same. Both refer to a fine or narrow linear
surface elevation. In gastropod shells, they are usually in a spiral
direction. A stria is also fine or narrow and linear, usually spiral,
but is an incised groove in the general shell surface. Use of the term
groove usually implies a broader groove than stria. A linear elevation
broader than a thread is a cord, costa, or rib according to Cox. We used
rib in Röckel et al., Manual of the Living Conidae, 1995, Glossary: pp.
20-39.

Of course lirae and striae are often adjacent to each other; maybe
that's what makes some people lirate.

Alan