From:
David Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 2010 09:44:12 -0500
Over geologic time, the microstructure of the left and right valves in
pectinoids have not been entirely in sync as they changed.  There's
often a sculpture difference as well.  Thus, it does seem as though
there's a significant left-right genetic difference.  I don't know
that anyone has looked at this at the molecular level.

On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 5:51 PM,  <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Peggy,
> thanks. Nice story.
> I had read that scallop patterns/colors were genetically determined...so I
> wondered if there was a different genetic program for each valve!
> David Posnett, MD
>
> This is what I tell people on field trips and in lectures:
>
> Scallops can swim. Bay scallops live in sea grass which is brownish-green.
> When they are resting on the grass the brown valve is facing up, making them
> hard to spot.
>
> On the other hand, when startled into swimming by a crab or other predator,
> the light (usually white) valve is facing the predator, which would be
> looking up at the sunlight coming through the water, thus camouflaging the
> scallop from the predator.
>
> Peggy
>
> On Sep 5, 2010, at 9:40 PM, [log in to unmask] wrote:
>
> Any explanations for the occasional marked discrepancy between the
> colors of the two valves of a scallop?
> Thanks. I have one, for example, with a light yellow valve and a
> paired dark brown valve still attached.  David

> click leave the list.
>
>             Peggy Williams: shell collecting trips
>
> author of Shallow Water Turridae of Florida and the Caribbean
>
>            Visit my website: www.Shelltrips.com
>
>                                PO Box 575
>
>                         Tallevast FL 34270
>
>                            (941) 355-2291

> [log in to unmask] - a forum for informal discussions on molluscs To
> leave this list, click on the following web link:
> http://listserv.uga.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=conch-l&A=1 Type your email
> address and name in the appropriate box and click leave the list.

Dr. David Campbell
4830 University Blvd E H4
Tuscaloosa AL 35404