From:
"José H. Leal" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 2010 10:34:20 -0400
Thanks Leslie,

Cecelia was indeed a great lady; she stayed in touch and supported The
Bailey-Matthews Shell Museum until the very end. Early this year, she
visited and fully transferred ownership to the Museum of a magnificent cameo
shell that was on loan (and on display) from her since the days when Tucker
was our founding director.

We kept crossing paths in shell shows and other events, mostly due to our
mutual interest in shelling and on the east coast shell club circuit events.
One of my favorite stories involving Cecelia: In the early 2000s, I used to
go surfing in Brevard County, usually Melbourne Beach and vicinities. On
this particular morning, I was out on Satellite Beach. After the usual
small-wave session, I got back in on the beach only to see this lady holding
a yellow umbrella, walking along the water's edge. Upon mutual close
inspection, she turned to me and said something like "Hi José, here we are,
two shell people, but doing very un-shelly things, you with your surfboard,
and me, looking for sea beans."

The Shell Museum and its family (and yours truly in particular) will sorely
miss the lady with the yellow umbrella.

Kind regards,

José
José H. Leal, Ph.D., Director and Curator
The Bailey-Matthews Shell Museum
Editor, The Nautilus
www.shellmuseum.org

3075 Sanibel-Captiva Road