From:
"José H. Leal" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 2010 17:18:53 -0500
Dear Jim,

This issue is not directly related to traditional biogeographical divisions; Carole Marshall asked for suggestions on how to name a very specific area of the western Atlantic of particular interest to her. I understood that she was asking for the name of a geographical, physical area, not of a biogeographical region or province. Liking saying "the Caribbean, the Gulf, and a big piece to the North."

It just so happens that FAO had given a name to that area based on a practical division of interest to them and to the fisheries industry in that part of the world.

I was the author for the shelled mollusks guides on that series (see below), which deals with species of interest to fisheries I several major areas of the world.

Cheers,

José
José H. Leal, Ph.D., Director and Curator
The Bailey-Matthews Shell Museum
Editor, The Nautilus
www.shellmuseum.org

3075 Sanibel-Captiva Road