From:
Marlo Krisberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Oct 1998 20:05:05 -0700
Art, I have to assume that you are talking about a "mass market" device
with a price that approximates a television or maybe a PC,  say something
in the $500 to $1,000 range.  The economies of scale (potential sales)
required to "mass produce - mass market" a "DNA Breadbox" in this price
range is in the millions of units year after year, not simply the
thousands as would satisfy schools, municipalities and a few hundred
shell collectors.  The research institutions (nonprofit and for-profit)
already buy them at the high price.  Any potential marketer would have to
believe that there is a sufficient "incremental" market for such a device
in that price range.  There is not.  The perfect example is microscopes.
I'm sure you're aware of how much a decent microscope can enhance the
enjoyment of the shelling hobby.  However, despite the fact that you can
obtain a very adequate, multipower, illuminated, binocular microscope for
$300 to $500, how many collectors actually invest this much?  And, a
microscope costs nothing to operate, will virtually last as long as one's
interest in the hobby, and has high resale value.  A DNA breadbox would
have a high cost of operation and a limited life.  If few are willing to
go for a microscope, how many would go for a DNA device?

You need a better appreciation of what is meant by "mass" when used in
the context of "mass produce/mass market."

Marlo
Florida