From:
Michael Reagin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Oct 1998 09:06:58 -0400
        DNA sequencing has advanced by leaps and bounds since its first
     inception.  In fact, in the five years that I have been in the
     business, the process has evolved from several labor intensive steps
     to incorporate a radioisotope, running the reaction by-products
     through a gel matrix in an electrical field, exposing the radioactive
     gel to X-ray film, and hand reading the sequence from the exposed
     film, to a single step reaction that incorporates a fluorescent dye.
     The reaction is still run through a gel, however the signal is
     analyzed and the sequence determined by a computer.  Whereas 10-15
     sequences of 300 basepairs per gel could be determined the old way,
     now 96 sequences of 800 basepairs can be performed in a single run.

        As much as the science has evolved, it is still unlikely and
     unpractical that a machine would ever be designed to sequence whole
     organinsms.  The "state of the art" machine that we developed is the
     size of a dishwasher and costs $200,000.  The only customer for these
     devices are public centers involved in the human genome project and
     with hundreds of machines in operation, the most optimistic prediction
     of completion of the DNA sequence of a single person is ther year
     2003.

        For the purpose of phylogenetic studies it is more practical to
     compare mitochondrial DNA sequences. mtDNA is ubiquitously distributed
     among eukaryotes, is conserved to span the full evolutionary spectrum,
     and shares a common ancestor.  Comparison of mtDNA sequences between
     different organisms can infer relatedness.  Also since DNA is hightly
     conserved, any number of protein sequences can be used as a piece of
     the puzzle to compare different species within a single genus.  This
     is a much more effective strategy than sequencing three billion base
     paires.

        Since DNA sequencing is performed by a modified bacterial enzyme,
     there is a biological limit to the procedure.  It is unlikely in its
     present form  that a sequencing reaction can produce a significantly
     larger base pair read.  New advances with the science will be with the
     engineering of the machine itself (i.e. matrix, sample size), however,
     this will not significantly speed up an effort as large as the human
     genome project.

        The difficulty in determining species with a "breadbox" DNA
     sequencer is the homologous nature of DNA itself.  Two animals as
     phenotypically different as humans and chimpanzees have 98% the same
     DNA sequence.  Yet, it this 2% difference which allows us to bounce an
     electronic signal off of a satellite in space to communicate with a
     fellow list member on a different continent as opposed to sitting in a
     tree picking lice off of each other.

     Michael Reagin
     Cleveland Heights, OH