From:
"Harry G. Lee" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Feb 2011 14:09:05 -0500
Dear Marlo,

Wow; all you need is a few shells, and you have a
shell show exhibit for which a Dupont Trophy, COA
Trophy, and a Masters Award would be appropriate!

I noted in your sixth panel that you lacked
access to the Chemnitz figures cited by Gmelin.
I'll scan these and send under separate cover.
Here is a link to the other figure cited by
Gmelin (D'Avila, 1767: pl. 9 fig. A):
<http://books.google.com/books?id=NWSXN0qCdx4C&printsec=frontcover&dq=Catalogue+syst%C3%A9matique+et+raisonn%C3%A9+des+curiosit%C3%A9s+de+la+nature+et+de+l'art&source=bl&ots=2BiYHmBpJI&sig=9i6d9vcf3Aimwy3e4VcEwWbzGIo&hl=en&ei=8dBWTaS7Jse4twfqsqDUDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CBMQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false>;
go to page 587. This is not only the earliest
figure of the Crown Conch, it is sinistral! [In
this work, as in several contemporary ones, all
the gastropod shells are printed as mirror images
in this work, an artifact of the printing process.]

In your panel 10: Thanks for doing that bit of
research on the date of publication for Say's
Melongena bicolor (originally placed in Fusus; see
<http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/79357#page/237/mode/1up>).
While you agree with Abbott (1974: 221) and many,
many other authorities, some publications (e.g.,
Lee, 2009) indicate the date of this paper as
1826. The title page of the appropriate number of
the Journal of the Academy of Natural Sciences states "1827" (see
<http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/79357#page/219/mode/1up>:
page i, 5 pp. after p. 204), so you are on
somewhat firm ground. However, Rosenberg (2009:
<http://www.malacolog.org/bibliography.php?mode=details&target=2075>)
gives February, 1826, which date agrees with the
determination of Binney (1858: v; 118).

This is an important point to settle as there
were no less than 21 molluscan species, including
COA logo shell, Fusus 10-costatus, better known
as Neptunea decemcostata, described in the topical paper.

After a few Google searches, I found that the
only one of these taxa with any significant "Say,
1827" Internet presence was Fusus/Melongena
bicolor. I cannot explain this apparent
selectivity, but I suspect the date is in error,
and there was a lot of copy-catting, which
baseless amplification we all have witnessed before.

If there is anyone who has more intimate
knowledge of the dating of the paper in question,
please come forth. For now I recommend
attributing Melongena corona bicolor to "(Say, 1826)."

Binney, W.G. [ed.], 1858. The complete writings
of Thomas Say on the conchology of the United
States. Pp 1-252 + vi + pls. i-lxxv.
Chemnitz, J.H., 1788. Neues Systematisches
Conchylien-Cabinet 10. Kaspischen Buchhandlung,
Nürnberg. [xxiv] + 376 pp., pls. 137-173. post
Feb 1. [not seen, but refer to Richardson et  al.
Davila, P.F., 1767. Catalogue systématique et
raisonné des curiosités de la nature et de l'art
Tome premier. Briasson, Paris. xxxvi + 1-571 + plates 2-22.
Lee, H.G., 2009. Marine shells of northeast
Florida. Jacksonville Shell Club, Jacksonville,
FL. Pp. 204 + 19 color pls. 28 May.
Richardson, L., R.T. Abbott, and G.M. Davis,
1979. Early references to the figures in the
Conchylien Cabinet of Martini and Chemnitz:
volumes I-XII. Tryonia 2(1): 1-225 + pls. 1-193
+         vignettes 1-44. 2(2): 226-427 + pls.
1-237 + vignettes 1-26. August 1.
Rosenberg, G., 2009. Malacolog 4.1.1: A Database
of Western Atlantic Marine Mollusca. [WWW
database (version 4.1.1)] URL http://www.malacolog.org/. [last accessed today].
Say, T., 1826. Descriptions of marine shells
recently discovered on the coast of the United
States. Journal of the Academy of Natural
Sciences of Philadelphia 5: 207-221. Feb.

Harry

PS There is a treatment of the conchology and
zoogeography of the Crown Conch at <
http://www.jaxshells.org/corona1113.htm> and a
review of the rather convoluted history of the
taxonomy/nomenclature of the Lettered Olive at <
http://www.jaxshells.org/hgl54.htm>. HGL