From:
steve rosenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Mar 2011 20:50:48 -0400
Harry, I didnt read the taxonomic fine print perhaps but where does
this species fit in, the title is rather suggestive....

􃕜
s Largest Lucinid is an Undescribed Species from Taiwan
(Mollusca: Bivalvia)
Philippe Bouchet* and Rudo von Cosel
Department of Systematics and Evolution, National Museum of Natural
History, 55, rue Buffon, F-75005 Paris, France
(Accepted September 1, 2004)
Philippe Bouchet and Rudo von Cosel (2004) The world
􃕜
s largest lucinid is an undescribed species from
Taiwan (Mollusca: Bivalvia). Zoological Studies 43(4): 704-711.
Meganodontia acetabulum is described as a
new genus and species of the Lucinidae, based on valves trawled at
256~472 m depths on the Tashi fishing
ground off the northeastern coast of Taiwan. The new genus is close to
Anodontia but differs mainly in the
small umbones, the perfectly circular outline, the hinge and ligament,
and the large muscle impressions. It is
the largest known Recent species of Lucinidae. Other species of
bivalves, belonging to families symbiotically
associated with chemautotrophic bacteria, have been taken at the same
or nearby stations, suggesting that the
Tashi fishing ground is a site where chemosymbiosis plays an important
role in biomass production and ecosystem
function. http://www.sinica.edu.tw/zool/zoolstud/43.4/704.pdf
Key words: Chemosymbiosis, Giant Lucinidae, Taiwan, Taxonomy.