From:
Gregory Herbert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jan 1998 10:23:13 -0600
Hello all,
Thanks for all the Eupleura input.  I'm currently working on a monograph
of the fossil and Recent species of Eupleura under the supervision of
Emily Vokes.  Most of my previous work has dealt with the fossils (naming
new species, cleaning up after Petuch's mis-id's in his Atlas of Fl.
Fossils, determinging the relationships between Eupleura and other
Ocenebrines, etc.), but recently I have been looking at the Recent species
(radulae, behavior, ecological traits etc.).  Eupleura sulcidentata
appears to have this odd behavior of clinging to grass, although I've
observed it (LIVE) only in St. Andrews Bay, Panama City Bch., Florida.
Phyllonotus pomum is abundant and feeds on Chione sp. which buries in the
sediment between the seagrass;  Thais haemastoma is abundant on an
artificial oyster reef nearby; no barnacles were seen.  Other large
carnivores - Fasciolaria and Chicoreus - are also present.  I have not
observed these feeding.  Large crabs are also abundant and may explain why
E. sulci. has been "tree'd."
If any of you have any data on the Eastern Pacific Eupleura you'd be
willing to share, I would be grateful.
Thanks,
Greg Herbert
Loyola University