From:
Charles Sturm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Sep 2011 12:17:40 -0400
Lindsey,

It appears to be quite common these days, especially when things are
described by "amateurs" that only the holotype is deposited in an
institution and all of the paratypes are retained in private collections.
I often wonder what will happen to those types over time. I guess that
being involved in the naming process is not as glamorous as having
possession of a type.

> To all listers:
>
>         I wholeheartedly agree with Fabio ... the selling of a
> "registered" paratype (does he mean a designated paratype?) is a
> practice that has no place in Malacology or any of the biological
> sciences. It is far too easy to lose track of paratypes sold
> and/or distributed to private collectors.   A paratype can be used
> to designate a neotype in the event that a holotype is lost or
> destroyed.  With that said I strongly urge Carlo to donate this
> specimen to a recognized museum or university collection where it
> can be properly held for future researchers rather than auction it
> off to the highest bidder a la Ebay.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Lindsey

> Mr. Lindsey T. Groves
> Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County
> Malacology, Collection Manager
> 900 Exposition Boulevard
> Los Angeles, CA  90007  USA
> 213-763-3376 (voice)
> 213-746-2999 (fax)
> http://www.nhm.org/site/research-collections/malacology/staff-biographies

Regards,
Charlie
Charlie Sturm

President
American Malacological Society 2010-2011

Research Associate - Section of Mollusks
Carnegie Museum of Natural History
Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Assistant Professor - Family Medicine
Fellow-American Academy of Family Practice
Fellow-Academy of Wilderness Medicine