From:
Matt Blaine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Sep 2011 08:30:37 -0400
One place where I have found interesting reading about shell adventures is in early issues of The Nautilus. I was fortunate enough a few years ago to drive down to Harbor Branch and be allowed to spend the day in their library. I started with issue #1 and work my way forward. If you do not have access to a library like that then you might get a copy of The Best of The Nautilus Edited by R. Tucker Abbott which was published in 1976.
Many of the early issues have recounts of "adventures" like the land snailing expeditions carried out by Pilsbry and his cohorts.

On another note.
 I completely agree with Thomas Watters'observation on declining availability of funding for museums to send out collecting expeditions. His comments on dealers and amaterus contributions to discovering new species and keeping a specimen for their contribution hit the nail right on the head in my opinion.

Matt