From:
Chris Takahashi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Sep 2011 19:21:34 -0400
To The List,
In my case when i decide to sell a Type specimen from my collection, my
reasons are my own. But because of collectors "chit-chat" i'll explain a
few things.

Angaria lilianae M&M, 2000
In the 90's i ran across a unknown Angaria reported from the Rachas while
in Phuket. Took 3 trips running in the thousands of dollars to fly over to
dive this area to procure only a handful to get this properly named. I
gave up the Holotype & Paratype to be deposited and another Paratype for
the author's refference collection of Angaria. If i sold the few remaining
pieces it wouldn't even cover 1/2 the plane fare for even 1 trip not
including hotels, transfers, food, chartering cost.

Sassia melpangi H&B, 2007
This came up in experimental traps for red shrimp in 1,200ft off North
Oahu using sub-sonic buoys. We abondoned this due to raging currents that
resulted in loses of the set-ups. Again most of what was brought up i
donated to the museums, at my cost.

Fusinus mauiensis C&S, 2006
In the 80's-90's i put one of my boats on a interisland barge and rented a
condo to get info and specimens of this species. This sparked a resurgence
of interest in this species and the Malacologists of the Philly Museum
wrote and clarrified this species as a Hawaiian endemic. Between the
airfare, barging of boat & truck, lodging & food, there is no way this
species could pay for this.

Cypraea cicercula takahashii Moretzsohn, 2007
I first brought this project to another who didn't want to represent the
species, primarily due to "his own" reasons. Dr Moretzsohn was kind enough
to follow through. I spent many night dives in deep water by myself
gathering live specimens for DNA work as well as comparative studies. Took
years working on this to do it right. Results were based on DNA, radula,
and conchological studies. I had enough specimens to name +60 paratypes
but chose not to. Instead fewer specimens were designated as Paratypes and
many Topotypes were given out for study. This gesture showed no monetary
schemes were in place because i ended up with 1/2 less Paratype extras as
originaly promised. If i sold all my Paratypes it wouldn't cover the gas,
food, mailings, and time spent over the years gathering this species.

Cypraea hinuhinu Moretzsohn, 2011
Again Dr Moretzsohn was kind enough to name this. Mike Severns was also
kind enough to correspond this to his new book, where it was named. Took
me my whole life to gather a few specimens and i gave my best away as the
Holotype. Really burns me when i hear collectors who know nothing on what
transpires behind the scenes, give negative commentary. With hinuhinu
included Cypraea pseudonucleus Moretzsohn, 2011 that i also iniated with
Dr Moretzsohn. These projects took years in the making.

Pleurotomaria- Obornella thompsonorum, Bathrotomaria annejoffeae,
Bathrotomaria bedetteae, and Leptomaria takahashii H&K, 2007
These 4 species were new to science. I donated a huge box containing
multiple specimens of each species to the Smithsonian. And i never got any
of the types back though one species was named after me.

There are a few more projects in the works so i won't comment here on
them. In short i tend to lose money, not make money, when i decide to part
with a Type specimen. After i pass my remaining Types are willed to our
local Bishop Museum. None of my ventures to further Malacological
advancement was ever to make money. In fact all ventures lost me money. In
some cases original material was lost(ie new Easter Island species that i
found i sent to Rehder, but after he passed the material was never
recovered). I did everything to help further our knowledge of our hobby.

I've been blessed with a good collecting eye that many said was like Peter
Clarkson of Australia, a great compliment. I've been beach walking since
4, snorkeling since 10, scuba since 17. Now im a mixed gas diver and have
traveled afar diving for shells. Also experimented with nets, traps, and
dredges. I love what i do as a hobby and a business. So when i
get "kicked" by collectors who don't understand what i do or how i've
contributed to our knowledge of mollusks, well i get angry.

Im here shell collecting because Charlie Wolfe became my mentor, my
business was established in the 70's due to Rich Goldberg & Robert
Janowsky, my scientific nature was fueled by Dr Moretzsohn & Harasewych,
and my inspiration was Bill Cargile and Wayne Harland. I really appreciate
what G. Thomas Watters, PhD had to say about this thread below, thanks.
Chris

The heyday of institutions sending out research vessels to collect
specimens
has largely passed, with a few exceptions. It is the commercial "dealers"
who are now supplying the new material and investigating the new areas.
They
are a business and obviously need to make a profit to survive. But in my
experience these "dealers" (such a negatively loaded word) are more than
willing to sacrifice their profits for the advancement of malacology. Yet I
have heard "professional" malacologists rant against commercial
collectors -
fine, put up or shut up. Given all of this, it is not uncommon today for an
"amateur" collector of a new species to say "OK, I'll give the specimens
you
need to describe this species, specimens I collected at my own personal
expense, which I do NOT have to share with anyone [often specimens NOT in
any museum] to say "but I want a paratype." Really? A token specimen so
that
a new species can be brought to light that would otherwise remain unknown?
Believe me, I would like all types to be in a museum, but if the science is
not "footing the bill" then they have no right to complain.