From:
"José H. Leal" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Feb 2012 08:52:44 -0500
Thanks Harry,

Although I cannot say that this is what happens in this particular case,
usually the strong yellow, orange, and red pigments in eggs is caused simply
by the presence of yolk, or the nutritive reserves that feed the embryo and
early larval stages in mollusks (and in other groups of organisms). And yes,
Amy Tripp is an extremely keen field worker, and her exceptional photos of
live mollusks can be enjoyed in the SW Florida Shells section of the Shell
Museum web site and, sporadically, in the Museum Facebook "page"

Cheers,

José

José H. Leal, Ph.D., Director and Curator
The Bailey-Matthews Shell Museum
Editor, The Nautilus
www.shellmuseum.org <http://www.shellmuseum.org/>

3075 Sanibel-Captiva Road