From:
Charles Sturm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Mar 2012 22:35:33 -0400
I would like to start off by stating that I have met Ed Petuch several
times over the past twenty years. I find him to be a warm and friendly
individual. I last met him at the American Malacological Society meeting
in 2010.

I also have know Dick Petit for many years, probably going back to 1990.
He has been very supportive of my interests in conchology and malacology,
and still is.

Despite my feeling about these individuals, and I like them both, the
scientific merits of one's work rests upon an analysis of that work and
not on whether we like or dislike a person. Petit has been critical of
Petuch's work, in particular two books recently published by him and
Sargent.

I would like to point out that there are others also critical of Petuch's
work. I would point folks in the direction of two papers in the
paleomalacological literature:

Ward, L. W. and Ivan K. Gilmore. 2007. Lee Creek Mine, Aurora, North
Carolina: History, Mining Operations, Geology, Stratigraphy, and
Paleontology. Carolina Geological Society Annual Field Trip Guidebook, pp.
1-138, November 9-11, 2007: Virginia Museum of Natural History Guidebook
Number 8.

Ward, L. W. 2008. Synthesis of paleontological and stratigraphic
investigations
at the Lee Creek Mine, Aurora, N.C. (1958–2007). Virginia Museum of
Natural History Special Publication, Number 14:325–431.

I do not consider myself a malacologist of sufficient standing to
criticize the work of Petuch. However, I would advocate, that those
wishing to understand the debate, look at all the evidence, evaluate the
criticisms, and then come to a reasoned conclusion. It is in this hope
that I provide these references. For those who would like to acquire these
references, they can be purchased from the Virginia Museum of Natural
History.

Let us keep thing civil, enjoy the companionship of each other, and
scientifically evaluate scientific works. In the end, this is upon what
our reputations will be based.

Regards,
Charlie
Charlie Sturm

Treasure
American Malacological Society

Research Associate - Section of Mollusks
Carnegie Museum of Natural History
Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Associate Professor - Family Medicine
Fellow-American Academy of Family Practice
Fellow-Academy of Wilderness Medicine