From:
"Sarah R. Watson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Nov 1998 23:04:23 EST
The Philly Shell show was FABULOUS!!!!!!! The many exhibits were ALL fantastic
and oh so interesting/beautiful/informitive. I especially enjoyed Gene
Everson's exhibit titled "David and Goliath." It showed the differences both
in size but also incredible differences between juvenile and mature specimens
of the same species. Also there was a wonderful exhibit showing the rainbow of
the colors of shells. I forget the name of who did it (sorry brain overload)
but it was a stunning exhibit.
 I had the wonderful opportunity to meet several Conch-lers and speak with
them in-person (not that email isn't great but there is just something about
actually talking face to face with a carbon based life form) Richard Goldberg
was with his quick-cam so there will most likely be wonderful pic's up soon on
his website.
The evening lecture by Geerat Vermeij was very very thought provoking and very
interesting. I am sorry I can't give exact details but my brain is on the
fritz (lewis dot structure's and electron configurations anyone?) The dinner
was beautiful and the conversations within the people were so interesting and
FUN (no comment Scott)

Many many thanks to the Philadelphia Shell club and The Academy of Natural
Sciences for the wonderful event and to Gary Rosenberg for giving everyone who
was interested a tour of the Malacology Dept. I know I really appreciated it
and got more that I ever expected out of the entire weekend.

Sarah (who at the moment can't even spell her name correctly) Watson
Silver Spring MD
http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Tidepool/8845