From:
David Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Nov 2012 10:27:14 -0400
Since one runs into these in mollusk papers, it may be helpful to
review (or state) the definitions.

A synapomorphy is a shared feature distinguishing a group of organisms
that are related.  The radula in mollusks is one example.  (As in many
examples, the feature has been lost in certain groups-organisms do not
always do a good job of carefully making their affinities obvious.)
The presence of two shells throughout shell growth in bivalves is
another example of a synapomorphy, although one might raise the issue
of accessory plates in the pholadoideans and the form of the lasidium
larva as caveats.

A homoplasy is a similarity that evolved separately.  The bivalved
condition in bivalves and in juliid sacoglossans is an example-both
independently developed two shells for similar functional reasons.

--
Dr. David Campbell
Visiting Professor