From:
Dennis Sargent <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Dec 2012 10:05:28 -0500
Hi Everyone,

It is with deepest sympathy that I am announcing the passing of Bob Morrison
on December 21, 2012.
Bob and his wife Jo operated a specimen shell dealership in Sarasota,
Florida in the 1970s and 80s.
I met him as a new customer and a diver that was just developing an interest
in malacology.
He took me under his wing and served as a mentor, a teacher and most of all
a true friend.
In 1977 he introduced me to two doctoral candidates Ed Petuch and Jerry
Harasewych. What happened after that is history.
He introduced me to the movers and shakers in the field as he had worked to
supply many of the museums and scientists with specimens and many new
species.
Voluta morrisoni, Voksimurex morrisoni, Oliva baileyi and several others
were brought to light by Bob's attention to detail.
I got to know Bob even better over the past five years. We found each other
again in 2008 and have since made many trips to visit the shell dealers and
the Bailey Matthews Museum in Sanibel, Florida.
On these trips Bob would talk about his interactions with legends such as
Tucker Abbott, Harold Rehder, Bill Clench and others.
Bob got me interested in attending the Sarasota Shell Club meetings again,
even though I live 150 miles away.
Over the past three years, I watched Bob's health decline. We continued to
make the trips in spite of it with our last trip earlier this year.
He was looking forward to the Sarasota Club hosting the COA in July 2013.
His mind remained razor sharp until the very end.
Yes Bob will be missed but he will never be forgotten.

My apologies for bringing the bad news before the holidays.

Sincerely,

Dennis M. Sargent