From:
David Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Feb 2013 10:34:34 -0500
Yes; one time one of Darwin's sons visited a friend's house, and after
being shown around asked "Where does your father do his barnacles?"

Although barnacles are now known not to be mollusks, they were
included with the mollusks in a number of early clasifications.  They
also provide important food for a number of snails, including many of
those with impressive labial spines, perhaps making up in part for
their habit of messing up good shells by attaching on them or boring
into them.

Darwin did collect a number of mollusks; unfortunately the interest in
Darwin's career has not yet produced a thorough revision of the
invertebrates collected on the Beagle expedition.  There are also some
molluscan taxa named for him, such as Antarctodarwinella, a fossil
struthiolarid snail from Antarctica.

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 1:58 PM, Phil Poland <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> In Biology we trust!
> I understand that Darwin was a barnacle man.
> Happy Holiday!

Dr. David Campbell
Visiting Professor
Department of Natural Sciences