From:
Erick Staal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Sep 2013 16:05:14 +0200
Hi,

The 'giant mussels' at the Costa Concordia site in the Mediterranean are
Pen shells (Pinna nobilis L., 1758). See the youtube movie about the
rescue here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHdcHrdTF8Q

Pen shells are indeed endangered in the Mediterranean due to pollution
and overfishing.

Sincerely, Erick
.