From:
Charles Sturm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jan 2014 14:10:12 -0500
Ron,

As treasurer of the American Malacological Society, I have had one request
regarding a donation. Dick had served the AMS (then AMU) as president,
treasurer, and I believe secretary. If folks would like to donate to AMS
in Dick's name I would be able to add this to the student endowment fund
and if enough was raised, a separate student award could be named in
Dick's honor. This has been done in the past with Constance Boone and Mel
Carricker.

If folks are interested in this, they should contact me privately at

> Hi, everyone!
>
> I am very interested in making a donation in Dick's memory.  No doubt
> there are many who would like to do the same thing.  I hope that we can
> all get together and, through our donations, honor the memory of a man who
> was a friend, mentor, and colleague.
>
> Regards,
> Ron
>

> On Thursday, January 2, 2014 11:41:13 PM, José H. Leal
> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> Jerry and all,
>
> As I know many of you will, I am going to miss Dick.  I first met Dick as
> a graduate student in Miami in the 1980s. In the pre-PDF, pre-web era, I
> started acquiring books and reprints from he. Once he realized I was a
> student, he began selling me his materials at a fraction of the price, and
> sometimes just sending great stuff without charging.  Extremely generous,
> Dick could also be a freethinker and a strong and vocal opponent of
> shortcuts and sloppy methodology in taxonomy. And The Nautilus loses one
> of its main supporters.
>

> Happy New Year, Everyone,
>

> José
>

> On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 3:59 AM, Ron G. Noseworthy <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
>
> Hi, everyone!
>>
>>I too am saddened by the news that Dick is no longer with us.  Our
>> connections go back to 1965-66 when he started a shell business and I
>> bought a lot of shells from him for many years.  I finally met him at a
>> COA convention in Fort Myers in 1988.  In the past few years I have
>> corresponded with him on several taxonomic matters, and deeply respected
>> his expertise and his ready willingness to help.  To say that Dick will
>> be missed is an understatement.
>>
>>Regards,
>>Ron Noseworthy
>>

>>On Thursday, January 2, 2014 1:41:56 PM, worldwide <[log in to unmask]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>Indeed sad news.  I'm glad I got to spend some time chatting with
> Dick at the North Carolina Shell Show in September.  Dick was a
> great mentor on subjects related to conchological literature.  He
> was always a good friend and will be missed.
>>
>>At 09:43 PM 1/1/2014, you wrote:
>>
>>Dear
> Friends,
>>>
>>>I am saddened that my first e-mail of the New Year is to bring you the
> news that our friend and colleague Dick Petit passed away last
> night.  I had a call from Liz early this morning.  She asked
> that I let his friends in the malacological community know.
>>>In accordance with Dick's express wishes, there will be no funeral or
> service. An appropriate memorial event or publication is being
> considered, and details will be announced in due course.
>>>
>>>Jerry Harasewych

>> [log in to unmask] - a forum for informal discussions on molluscs
> http://listserv.uga.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=conch-l&A=1 Type your email
> address and name in the appropriate box and
> [...]

Regards,
Charlie
Charlie Sturm

Treasurer
American Malacological Society

Research Associate - Section of Mollusks
Carnegie Museum of Natural History
Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Associate Professor - Family Medicine
Fellow-American Academy of Family Practice
Fellow-Academy of Wilderness Medicine