From:
steve rosenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 May 2014 13:20:26 -0400
OK i just pulled one of these permits off a prevously opened carton of
shells from a very well known PI dealer. i think several different
issues are involved here, but on this specific one  to the permit per
se, the BFAR permit is  an export permit for species not covered under
CITES (there is a rubber stamp to that effect on the permit, and i
made sure to obtain the same stamp on my permits when i was there)...,
so theoretically at least the shells in question were presumably "not
in danger of extinction".

At times some dealers have referred to a longer list of specific
species, some rare and some not so rare , eg Conus gloriamaris was on
the list, that was put out or floated about by the PI government, in
addition to CITES species, that were off limits supposedly to
sell/export,  eg i know for some time some prominent dealers would not
include these shells on their offerings. Now i see all the species
offered so i dont know what exactly if anything was up with that.

Perhaps some of the dealers from there can comment further...