From:
Fred Schueler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Dec 2014 14:10:50 -0500
Quoting Harry Lee <[log in to unmask]>:

> Listers,
>
> Early yesterday evening, I heard an NPR commentary on the scientific
> report treated here:
> <http://www.nature.com/news/homo-erectus-made-world-s-oldest-doodle-500-000-years-ago-1.16477>http://www.nature.com/news/homo-erectus-made-world-s-oldest-doodle-500-000-years-ago-1.16477>.
>
> Unless I had a lapsus, the report, which ran several minutes and
> included interviews with more than one responsible anthropologist,
> never elaborated beyond the term "mussel," which imprecision I found
> a bit confusing and possibly inaccurate.

* but the Nature article doesn't say which species it is. I commented
on Unio-L that an inscribed zigzag is not evidence of either art or
"abstract thought," and it looks like somebody is trolling for a big
grant here. It seems more probable to me that H. erectus the
inscription was the catalogue number of the specimen, allowing us to
infer the early invention of the shell collection...

fred.
           Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
Vulnerable Watersheds - http://vulnerablewaters.blogspot.ca/
     study our books - http://pinicola.ca/books/index.htm
"[The] two fundamental steps of scientific thought - the conjecture
and refutation of Popper - have little place in the usual conception
of intelligence. If something is to be dismissed as inadequate, it is
surely not Darwin [, whose] works manifest the activity of a mind
seeking for wisdom, a value which conventional philosophy has largely
abandoned." Ghiselen, 1969. Triumph of the Darwinian Method, p 237.