From:
steve rosenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jul 2015 18:07:28 -0400
I think the shells you have seen also reflect  memory or curatorial
errors. I haven't seen any down there recently, or ever...or further
west in the Gulf.... just Perna viridis as far as introduced/vagrant
species go, and only  the expected local (sinistral) Busycons.

 Years ago I found a barrel full of B. carica eliceans at the gem/rock
shop at Sunset Beach in Cape May NJ, they told me they were local
(maybe they were unloaded locally , but I don't think they  came from
there). All eliceans and carica I have found or seen conformed to the
ranges you noted, except  I recently got an eliceans 2nd hand from a
friend who got it from the original collectors widow, data was Topsail
Beach, NC, she stood by that location- which is a bit further north
than the stated range-  and I have my doubts about the stated
locality, but at least its not too far off.

As you note, there is lots of mangled data and such in the offerings
on the internet, particularly from foreign dealers who aren't
knowledgable about the Florida  species or their ranges to pick up on
the ID or data issues they inherit 2nd or 3rd hand when they acquire
shells/collections indirectly.