From:
scott waser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jan 1998 08:03:44 -0500
Charlie and listers:

The Cape Hatteras Light Station is the tallest lighthouse in North
America, and one of the most recognizable with its black and white
candy-cane stripe.  It is located just north of Cape Point on the Outer
Banks of North Carolina.  Current structure built in 1870,  standing
1500 feet from shore, it is now only 150 feet from shore due to erosion
patterns, and is in serious danger of being lost to the Atlantic.  A
Class 3 hurricane, or series of smaller storms, could undermine and
topple this national treasure.  A number of measures have been taken to
change erosion patterns, such as sandbagging and  watergrass plantings
which have provided only temporay and minimal change, and the building
of groins which have actually increased the problem. The National Parks
Service ( this lighthouse is on National Seashore), and local
organizations are doing everything in their power to relocate the light
inland.  A site has been chosen, and some preliminary studies have been
done, but unfortunately the actual power ($$$$$$$), lies in the hands of
politicians.

Hatteras is beautiful unspoiled land and an exellent place to shell,
with the Atlantic and Pamlico Sound alive and generous.

My interest is to hear any opinions/arguments  on both sides of the
issue, on evironmental
impact and habitats

For more info,  surf into www.outerbanks.com
Enjoy the scenery and follow the links to the Outer Banks Lighthouse
Society.

Now I'll put on my mittens and hope for some insight and wisdom from
some of you.  THANKS,

Nancy.