From:
Theresa Marche <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 1998 01:02:04 -0500
>What species of cowries have you maintained, and what have you fed them?  I
>am curious if others have seen cowries feeding on both plants and animals.

>Susie

A few years ago I had a Cypraea arabica, I believe it was, in the aquarium
for over a year. I also had a white anemone. Before the latter was
introduced into the tank, the cowrie would peacefully graze algae, as
evidenced by the "tracks" on the glass. Once the anemone was added, I saw
an interesting pattern develop. Wherever the anemone had ben the previous
night, the cowery would be found in the morning, and the anemone would have
moved to the opposite side of the tank. This dance went on for weeks, until
one morning, I had to get up extra early, and I saw what was happening. The
cowery was grazing on the "foot" of the anemone. My husband actually got
photos of the little "porcine" with its proboscis extended and taking a
"bite." We sent it in to HSN for publication. I don't recall the date, but
could look it up.

I also had a C. spadicea that seemed to "do in" a small crab. My conclusion
is that this family is so successful, in part, because its members will eat
almost anything they get their little radulas on.

Another point, although I have not seen it myself, diver friends, whose
word I trust, have reported seeing the same kind of aggregations of C.
cervus that are usually reported for various Murex species during mating.
That is a sight I would have liked to see.