From:
makuabob <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jan 1999 08:33:35 -0500
Tom made these five points, and they are widely accepted as
valuable points to COLLECTORS, i.e., avocational shellers.

However (this is not a rebuttal of Tom's points), there are
totally different rules for acquiring a scientific sample for
analysing population characteristics and they are virtually
the reverse of those given:

"1.  Collect only what you need, don't strip an area of shells."
You HAVE to 'strip' the area to get all the data points that are
needed to represent the population. In my case it means ALL of the
cowries, so long as their measurements are not compromised by wear
or damage. In my best spots and on my "best" days, this means more
than 200 cowries -- none of them alive. Is it O.K. to strip an area?
Other times, it might mean 5 cowries, taken at night, all alive --
is it O.K. to strip the area? (We're talking "scientific" collecting
here.)

"2.  Collect select adults, leave juveniles alone so they can mature
and reproduce."
"3.  Never disturb eggs or adults guarding eggs."
These two are a pair; 'If it's on eggs, it's an adult.' I have noted
elsewhere that on at least one occasion I've seen a 'bulla' cowry on
eggs. Of course, I don't know that a cowry was on eggs until it's off
the eggs. How did it get off the eggs? It got 'disturbed.' Why did
it get disturbed? Because you can't tell if they're ON eggs until
you disturb them. Catch 22? And I've collected many 'juvenile' stage
cowries (the 'bulla' really isn't of interest -- to me, anyway)
in order to measure them and return them to one of my "farms" where
I MIGHT find them later and remeasure them to add to the data I have.
But, sometimes, they die before I can get them back. Should I quit
trying to learn about cowries? Should I throw the shell back?
(Rhetorical questions! I'm not quitting and I don't throw the shell
back!)

"4.  Leave live coral alone - shells aren't really to be found there
anyway."
The coral is loaded with shells. But you don't have to be heavy-handed
to get most of those shells -- only a few never come out for one
reason or another. Just learn when to collect and you'll find plenty.

"5.  Put rocks, coral slabs, etc. back after you turn them so they will
continue to serve as shelter."
Absolutely CORRECT. No doubt about it. I've dived (once!) with jerks
who try to 'justify' leaving the slabs overturned by saying it's how
they "keep track" of where they've been.

"6.  Know and obey the law of the area you are collecting in."
I don't know all the laws here in Indiana, only the gist of them:
"Don't touch any of the shells!" Dealer's delight!

      ----------------

On a more subjective note:

"7.  Don't cry when the shell you bought for $50 is suddenly offered for
$10."
Not near an ocean (or place you can collect)? Why not buy from a
"dealer?" Some folks in the city can't get to the Coca trees in South
America so they buy from "dealers." Is there really any difference?
Someone wants something but can't get to it themselves so someone else
"helps" them out -- for a fee.

This may not be what everybody wants to hear but it's what happens
in the process of learning. Maybe we should give up learning and stop
gratifying our desires? -- Now that's the stuff of Comedy & Tragedy!

Aloha,

makuabob (a.k.a. Bob Dayle)