From:
Kurt Auffenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 08:51:45 -0500
At 06:58 AM 2/11/99 -0600, you wrote:
>Dear all, I am writing this message at 6:42 AM.
>I decided that I would get up and search for some
>snails, as it was quite moist and just the perfect habitat
>for garden snails and their predators. While i was searching
>I came across an amazing sight: A pair of mating Euglandina rosea!
>I have put them in a large terrarium with the lid on at an angle, and
>they
>are still in the embrace. How long will this take?
I'M NOT SURE.

If I keep them for a
>while, will I get eggs?
PERHAPS

>Should I just let them go, or can I keep them in captivity?

THEY BURY THE EGGS IN THE LEAF LITTER AND SOIL.  IF YOU DECIDE TO KEEP THE
CLUTCH, KEEP THE SOIL A LITTLE DAMP.

>Let me know,
>Kind Regards James
>

>P.S. Do garden snails or wolf snails carry parasites?
>
>P.S.S I wash my hands every time I handle them.

I'M SURE THEY DO BUT I KNOW OF NONE WHICH CAN BE PASSED ON TO HUMANS.
ALTHOUGH I TOO WASH MY HANDS AFTER COLLECTING SNAILS, IT'S ONLY TO GET THE
DIRT OFF.  SNAIL SLIME IS NON-TOXIC AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED (AT LEAST
TERRESTRIAL IN THIS PART OF THE WORLD, AMPHIBIOUS AND SOME FRESHWATER
SPECIES ARE ANOTHER STORY PARTICULARLY IF YOU HAVE AN OPEN WOUND.  LOTS OF
DISCLAIMERS HERE.).