From:
"Webb, Russell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jan 1998 15:59:21 -0800
The name of the small island just off from the Garden Island Resort is
also Korolevu. The locals say that it is haunted! However, at the dive
shop, next to the hotel, you may arrange a boat ride out for about $8.00
per person. They will come back for you several hours later. There is
good snorkeling there, out several hundred feet until the bottom drops
steeply down to about 100 ft. We took scuba tanks out once and did a
dive on that wall and later a night dive on the other side to around 50
ft. There were quite a few nice shells.

There are a lot of Latirus gibbulus and Latirus barclayi. They are often
quite
encrusted but clean up nicely. Look for ones with a nice apex. You
should
also find a half dozen varieties of rock shells and a few Cypraea.

There are a number of very poisonous cones in the area. We found
Conus textile, Conus striatus and Conus omaria and a few the less
poisonous
varities. These three will most often recoil into their shell at first
only to
become very active (and dangerous) a few minutes later. f you want to be
very
safe scoop them up with tongs or a small spade. This is convenient since

around Taveuni they seem to be in sand under larger rocks and rubble. If
you
ant to be sort-of safe wear tough or thick gloves. Put them in a bag
immediately and keep the bag away from your body. Keep in mind that they

will be more aggressive come time to remove them from the bag and will
crawl
across the floor if left alone. Then, if you want to be like me, you can
just dig
them up with your hands. In this case it is probably better to do as I
say than
as I do.

Russ & Sue Webb