From:
makuabob <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 11:11:21 -0500
For 'semi-cowry' fans,

Having just posted the cowry-related articles of the July, 1991,
issue of the HAWAIIAN SHELL NEWS, my curiosity is piqued by the
suggestion that the thick shell of this animal suggests that its
mantle might have aposematic properties (warning coloration).
It was published in VENUS in 1990 by Gary Rosenberg and reported in
the above HSN.

A couple of questions come to mind...

1.) Has the living animal been observed since this genus and species
were proposed, and...

2.) Since ~400 feet down is not quite in the lightless regions of
the abyss, would aposematic coloration suggest 'daytime' activity?

In a reverse case (so to speak), Cypraea tessellata has nothing less
than a screaming "EAT ME, NOW" pattern and a virtually transparent
mantle; yet neither matters as the animal shuns daylight AND moonlight,
only venturing into the open on the dark of the moon (and sun).

Has anyone (Gary?) futher information on this semi-cowry?

Aloha,

Bob Dayle (a.k.a. makuabob)
Planet Earth -- except when the aliens abduct me... again!