From:
David Monsecour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Apr 1999 11:30:20 +0200
Dear Scott,
Strombus samba is indeed seen as a synonym of gigas. However, last week I
acquired two Strombus costatus who are probably not the real costatus
(they look like dwarfs, but have characteristics of gigas as well). So,
maybe samba is indeed a hybrid or even something apart. I am really
interested in this subject and hope to find out a lot more about them.
Maybe we are even dealing with living fossils, but my knowledge of fossils
is much too small to give decent comments on that matter.
Best regards from the youngest Strombidae-freak in the low countries,

David.