From:
Worldwide <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Mar 1998 11:37:51 -0600
Robert,

Thanks for the information.  It looks as if the specimen had inaccurate
information, or at least misleading data.  I have found infrequent
occurrences of inaccurate data in old land shell collections.  Good
literature references, a well documented collection, or illustrated Web
site checklists such as yours can eventually help get these specimens
properly identified.  The shell has been in the unidentified drawer for
years.  Thanks.

If the land snail fauna has a closer relationship to Fiji and New
Caledonia, what region is the marine fauna related to?  Are there any
endemics or distinctly regional forms found on Norfolk Is.?  I know your
specialty is with the terrestrials, but any information about the marine
fauna that you can provide would be appreciated.

I am curious to know whether Norfolk has any marine connection with the
Kermadec Islands where species like Ziba rehderi, Z. kermadecensis, Morum
bruuni, Conus bruuni, Conus raoulensis, Pecten raoulensis, and other
endemics are found.  Kermadec Ids. have a close connection with New Zealand
as they share some similar species, but many endemics inhabit the
Kermadecs.  I am wondering whether Norfolk has a similar endemic fauna.

I came across one reference of Aequipecten (Corymbichlamys) iredalei
Powell, 1958 being recorded from Kermadec Ids. (type locale), and also
Norfolk Is.   There must be others found around both islands.

Thanks again for the information.

Regards,

Rich
Richard L. Goldberg