From:
"Jose H. Leal" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 15:48:38 -0400
Emilio wrote:

>Yes. Macumba is the term for Voodoo, Brujeria, Witchcraft or related
>practices in Brasil.
>
>Petuch would use that type of nomenclature.
>
>Later,
>
>Emilio

Hi,

Yes, in 1979 Ed Petuch named a group of shallow water gastropods from the
Abrolhos Reef Complex off southern Bahia State in Brazil. Among them were
Dermomurex oxum, Muricopsis oxossi, Cyphoma macumba, Latirus ogum,
Murexiella iemanjae, and Conus iansa, all (thoughtfully, in my opinion)
named after originally West-African deities that have been incorporated
into the Brazilian culture (as they were in many Latin American countries),
particularly in the eastern-northeastern part of my old country. In the
same paper Ed described Plicoliva zelindae, an enigmatic species named
after his classmate in graduate school at the marine lab in Miami, Bahian
marine geologist Zelinda Leao. In that occasion, he assigned the new genus
Plicoliva to the family Olividae; now we know that it shares a number of
unique characters with volutes, and should be placed within the family
Volutidae.

Cheers,

Jose

Best,

Jose

Jose H. Leal, Ph.D.
Director, The Bailey-Matthews Shell Museum
Editor-in-chief, THE NAUTILUS
http://www.uwp.edu/academic/biology/bmsm/bm_shell.htm
3075 Sanibel-Captiva Road
Sanibel, FL 33957 USA