From:
Paul Drez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Mar 1998 15:40:24 -0700
Hi everyone and Marlo:

I am assuming that we are not going back and looking at material that is
hard for an average shell collector to get his hands on every day (Duclos,
Marrat, Reeve, etc), I will stick with stuff that is more readily
accessible, only the eastern Atlantic USA/Caribbean and not going further
south than Brazil - that makes it relatively easy, since their is not much.

At 01:17 PM 3/8/98 -0800, you wrote:
>I am seeking references for, or copies of original descriptions of
>Florida/Caribbean Olivellas.  I have on hand the following literature:
>
>Studies on the Genus Olivella, Olsson, 1956

Still the only overall systematic treatment, both western Atlantic and
eastern Pacific

>American Seashells, 2nd Ed., Abbott
>Caribbean Seashells, Abbott
>Audubon Field Guide to NA Seashells, Rehder, 1981
>Olivella inusta, Annals and Magazine of Natural History, Vol 16, 1915
>
>Some I'm aware of and would like to obtain are:
>
>New deep-water Olivellas from Florida, Nautilus 64:110-116, Abbott, 1951
>Kaicher, S.D., Card catalogue of world-wide shells, Packets 33, 49,  51 and
>54

Here are a few general items available and some descriptions of new species:

"Les Olivella" Sous - Famille des Olivellinae by P. LePetit - Xenophora,
#74 (April-May-June 1996) - Excellent photos of some western Atlantic and
eastern Pacific Olivellas - some of the ID's seem to be off in my humble
opinion.

"A New Olivella from the Barbados, West Indies" by Pierre Recourt -
Conchiglia, Year XXI No 238-241 (incorrectly says on cover No. 233-236) -
April 1989 - Pretty good photos of Olivella barbenthos, watermani,
fuscocincta and rotunda).

"The first OLIVID from the Canary Islands" by M Bermejo - La Conchiglia,
Year XI, no 120-121, March-April 1979 - besides figuring the new Olivella
from the Canary Islands, it also have other photos of Olivellas.

"Molluscos del Caribe Colombiano" by Juan Manuel Diaz Merlano and Monica
Puyana Hegedus, 1994, published in Colombia - B&W but good photos of
several species of Olivella.

"The Marine Mollusca of Suriname (Dutch Guina) holocene and recent, III,
Gastropoda and Cephalopoda" by CO van Regteren Altena, 1975, in Zool.
Verh., V 139.  Description of Olivella olssoni (figured also in Diaz
Merlano and Hegedus)

"Studies on the Fauna of Curacao and Other Caribbean Islands" by KM de Jong
and HE Coomans, 1988 - Excellent B&W photos of some species including a lot
of "unknowns"

"Mollusks from the Deeper Waters of the Northwestern Campeche Bank,
Mexico", by WH Rice and LS Kornicker, Texas Institute Marine Science Bull
10,1965.  Shows B&W of some Olivellas but is not sure of the positive ID of
any!!!

"Seashells of Brazil", by E Rios, 2nd Edition, 1994, Shows several
Olivellas in B&W plates, unfortunately some are only drawings.

"Distribution of Shallow-Water Marine Mollusca Yucatan Peninsula, Mexico by
Harold and Emily Vokes, 1983, Middle American Research Institute,
Mesoamerican Ecology Institute Monograph 1.  Have several nice B&W photos.

"Marine Prosobranch Gastropods from Oceanic Islands off Brazil", by Jose
Leal, published by Dr. Backhuys.  Shows a couple of species plus an "unknown"

Off the top of my head that is what I would recommend with identification
in addition to what you mentioned above, unless you want to get into the
pre-1900 material which is scare except for a few good libraries.  Maybe
some other people can think for more references!

Paul Drez