From:
NORA BRYAN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Nov 1999 10:12:53 -0700
Peter
(on killer whales - I remembered about "pod" right after I posted the
message - so typical - now that I have reached 40 I have convinced
myself that I forget things that I used to know readily.).
On the Olivellas, take a look at yours and measure them and then read
the Kozloff description of the two small Olivellas.  What do you think?
I don't "know" O. pycna either but then again I don't "know" most
shells, since the ones I have collected are the first I've ever seen and
I have no basis of comparison other than pictures and descriptions in a
limited number of books (thanks agin for te lead on the Kozloff book).
I wonder if other shell collectors face the same problem with their
self-collected shells?  If a person does not have access to an
established collection then they can't really know for sure.  Sometimes
I think that despite the most careful pains taken to ID from books
alone, obvious mistakes could easily be made since a 'mind's eye'
judgment might not reflect reality.  I have particular trouble with
limpets and I think if I could just actually see some already ID'd
specimens all my confusion or doubts would be quickly put to rest.

Nora
(confused but dry) in Calgary
Alberta