Date:
Fri, 8 Jan 2016 11:22:22 -0500
Interesting. The same man was telling me he found dinosaur footprints from a 'saur about the size of a horse (like the really mean critters in 'Jurassic Park') nearby. Perhaps Gryphaea could live in brackish marsh waters? Can you tell me more? Our collection of fossils is scanty, and I have not collected nor studied any fossil shells. You could reply to my email address <[log in to unmask]>. Thanks.

I'm sort of disappointed this isn't a snail. The outside of what we thought was an operculum is lammelate. It looks like the horny operculum of a murex that has dried with the layers separating a little. The original photos show this nicely, but the compressed  version doesn't show it well.

---- Allen Aigen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Gryphaea is marine.
Allen