From:
Jeff Schroeder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 1999 20:19:22 -0500
Conch-L,

I would first like to thank Tom and Lynn for their kind words on
"Seabase" and others that have offered helpful suggestions in
its improvement.  My wife, Lori Schroeder, has drawn my
attention to a thread concerning online shell databases.  There
are already some remarkable possibilities at the present for
just such a shell database.  As a computer, programming,
technical geek and the spouse of an avid sheller, I would be
glad to offer my technical abilities to support the scientific
abilities of this group in an altruistic project.

Easily communicating from inside a database to another online
database has actually been one of the goals for my non-profit,
MS Access database project "Seabase or whatever the final
name".  However, a database is not required, as a simple
internet browser (read Internet Explorer or Netscape) can
already accomplish many exchanges of information.

I suggest a relatively small "pilot" project for all to see what
is possible and then later worry about the scope of a large
project.  It sounds like there are ample contributors already to
the scientific aspect of the project.

Last summer I put online a very plain, simple, test site that
shows how anyone with a browser can add data to an online
database and then see the results.  Improvements can start with
seeing only a certain Genus or Family from the online database.
Try it to see how the technology works!

To add data:
http://www.arborrosebardstown.com/Conch-L/Errata.asp
To view the appended data:
http://www.arborrosebardstown.com/Conch-L/ErrataResults.asp

I also have done 3D rotating shells on web pages that can be
zoomed in and out, rotated and such.  I will get that back
online if anyone wants to see or incorporate it.  Note:  some
features require the latest browser versions.  If you still have
Netscape 1.1 you will definitely need to upgrade your browser.

So... do you think this could be the technology direction you
are looking for?

Jeff Schroeder
Lori Schroeder