From:
"Monfils, Paul" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2000 10:32:54 -0500
In March the Italian community here in Providence (the Catholic ones at
least), and even more so in Boston, celebrate St. Joseph's Day with a week
long festival.  There is a parade, and a sort of carnival, with food booths
on the street where you can try all sorts of Italian delicacies - including
scungilli, which is "conch" sauteed in a spicy tomato sauce.  Of course,
different vendors have their own secret recipes for the sauce.  Many times
it contains wine.  The "conch" used in these recipes is not Strombus.  It is
actually, as you said, the meat of Busycon.  I believe both B. carica and B.
canaliculatum are used.  But I could be wrong.  I'm not Italian.
Paul M.