From:
Masashi Yamaguchi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 15:23:21 +0900
There are giants and dwarfs in many cowries. I remember reading a diagram of
size-ranges in many Cypraea spp. (by the Schilders?) in the journal Veliger
long time ago. It is common to see, even within the same population, that
the largest individuals are more than twice as large in shell length as the
smallest. I found a remarkably small-sized C. annulus population on a reef
in Western Samoa (mean size was about 10 mm length), but they just looked
same as larger ones. Both intra- and inter-population size variation, and
also geographical size-clines are evident in this species (and such a
phenomenon may be common among many other cowries). The growth of cowries is
determinate and they do not increase in length (but thicken at both sides of
basal part and along top-inner surface) once they transformed into their
characteristic adult structures. I am curious to find out the genetics of
this individual size variation (there must be some kind of switch to turn
off growing as juveniles but what may be the trigger to become adults?).
Natural selection is slack in this case (clutch-size of cowries depends on
mother's size as she sits on her egg masses to brood underneath until
hatching out, so individual fecundity varies extensively).
Masashi Yamaguchi