From:
"Harry G. Lee" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Mar 2000 19:03:07 -0500
Dear Beth,

Taxonomists define a genus-level name by its type species.  According to
Cernohorsky (1984), the type of Hinia Gray, 1847 is Buccinum reticulatum
Linnaeus, 1758 (p. 1202).  That species is clearly a Nassarius Dumeril, 1806,
the type species of which is Buccinum arcularia Linnaeus, 1758 (p. 737).
Images of both these species appear in the "Compendium " to which you refer
(pp. 180 and 179, resp.).  Take a look for yourself.

Hint: For reason(s) of which I am unaware, a number of authors are confused
about what Hinia is.
Hint: Cernohorsky placed Hinia as a subgenus of Nassarius.

Harry

Cernohorsky, W. O., 1984.  Systematics of the family Nassariidae. Bull. Auck.
Inst. Mus. 14:1-356. July 12.

At 06:37 PM 3/5/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Can anyone tell me if the genus Hinia is now under the family Nassariidae?
>I look in abbott's Compendium and it is in family Planaxidae but in European
>Seashells - Poppo and Goto they have it in Nassariidae???
>Which is correct?
>
>Beth DeHaas
>Whitefield, ME
>
>P.S. Thank you to all the people who replied to my question about shelling
>in Oregon

Harry G. Lee
Suite 500
1801 Barrs St.
Jacksonville, FL 32204
USA   904-384-6419
Visit the Jacksonville Shell Club Home Page at:
http://home.sprynet.com/~wfrank/jacksonv.htm