From:
peta bethke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 19:19:26 -0400
Excuse me Rika but the laws of supply and demand apply to just about everything. If I have a gallon of gas and everyone needs
it then why not set the price as high as possible. It's the prices that are set not because they are difficult to obtain but
just because the supply is being hoarded.
When I was a conus collector , I looked all over trying to find a rather common shell that seemed to be non-existent now, the
shell of question was a conus generalis (yellow form) , it took two years, many inquiries and finally I located one , priced
5-6 times higher then the normal generalis.
Then there is another factor that needs addressing here , there are two types of collectibles, those of a true value and
those of a artificial value. I guess and example would be needed here , ok, you like commeritive plates, you see a plate with
Elvis on it an a high price , you think "hey if it's worth  $200.00 now it will definitely be worth much more later on "
WRONG, this is a artificially created value that has little to do with rarity. I actuality if you resell the plate even the
day you get it most likely you will get only half it's worth. baseball cards are different, real value , (with a few
exceptions ) they are not created but are found . so if I buy a Pete Rose rookie card , mint , and pay $200.00 , when I
resell it it will most likely be worth double of what I paid for it .
So what does this have to do with sea shells? shells are like those Elvis plates , it's very rare when you can get even half
the worth when reselling . And value isn't really set by a book as many I've purchased have been way over book value (I never
said I was a rocket scientist) and try an sell a collection you'll be happy to get 1/4 the value even if you think you have
the best, biggest,boldest or strangest.
Weasel