From:
Amy Lyn Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Mar 1998 16:12:38 -0500
Files ending in .hqx are binary files (usually graphics or programs) which
have been converted to BinHex format so that they can be transmitted as
ASCII text files via the Internet (ASCII is the lowest common denominator
that every computer on the internet understands).

There are various utilities that will BinHex and de-BinHex files, among
them are StuffIt Lite and StuffIt Deluxe.  StuffIt Expander is a free
utility from Aladdin Systems (http://www.aladdinsys.com/) that will
uncompress StuffIt, Compact Pro, Applelink archives, Uuencode, Tar Zip and
a few other formats.

>HELP!  I have recently received a shell picture as an email attachment from
>someone in Europe.  They use a MAC and I a PC.  The format has a suffix of
>.hqx and I have been unable to open it.  They supposedly have sent it as a
>JPEG MAC and TIFF PC and while the files are different size they both have
>the same suffix - .hqx.  I have tried various graphics software packages
>but alas no luck.  Any ideas?
>
>Thanks,
>Steven

Amy Edwards, Program Coordinator ------ [log in to unmask]

Museum of Natural History        --------        phone (706) 542-4137
University of Georgia            --------            FAX 706-542-3920
Athens, GA 30602-1882       --------       http://museum.nhm.uga.edu/
"A man's mind, stretched by new ideas, can never go back to its original
dimensions."             Oliver Wendell Holmes