From:
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2000 10:56:18 -0600
Javier,

The old cure was to soak the afflicted shell in alcohol for a day, wipe it
off, let it dry, and coat it with mineral oil.  There may be a better
cleaning method now, I don't know.  Prevention requires control of humidity
and air flow.  The shells should not be subjected to acidic fumes (like
those from oak) and must be kept dry.  The cabinet should allow some air
circulation as this will help prevent a humidity build up.  Many people now
keep their shells in ziplock plastic bags.  No one really knows the long
term effects (good or bad), but it would seem like a way of keeping out
humidity.

Tom Eichhorst in New Mexico, USA