From:
Betty Jean Piech <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Apr 1998 21:15:22 -0500
Dear Bruce -

Your return letter interested me.  Unfortunately my computer decided it
couldn't call up your first reference, but I did get and read the second
one, an article by Dr. Bruce Levett.  I must say I was impressed with what
you are trying to do (although I am not sure I understood all of it).  But
it did call to mind something I read not too long ago.  An article entitled
"Observations on the Gastropod, Charonia variegata, in Trinidad and
Tobago," by Peter B. Perchance.  In the second section (Feeding Habits), I
would like to quote two sections that I thought might interest you.

"This method of attacking the prey, employed by specimens observed, was
fairly constant.  A creeping approach, with tentacles being swept from side
to side.  This is followed by contact with the prey by the tentacles and
the extension of the large proboscis ready to eject the acid saliva over
the prey.  This action rapidly causes paralysis of the intended prey
followed by the subsequent wrapping of the foot of Charonia variegata
around the stunned animal."

"The method of opening bivalves is similar.  The triton emits a quick jet
of acid saliva, followed by the rapid extension of the proboscis between
the partially gaping valves."

I don't know if you have any Cymatium (Monoplex) intermedium in Australia,
but I do know you have Charonia tritonis, and I believe variegata is just
an Atlantic subspecies.

The above was published in The Nautilus, Vol. 83 (3), January, 1972, pp 84
to 92.
If you should want a copy of the whole article and are unable to locate the
journal, I could send you a copy by snail mail, but it did not seem to me
that rest of it is pertinent to what you are studying.
Regarding your question about getting live mollusks from Hawaii, I would
think they would allow it considering what you are studying, but Wes
Thorsson would be a better person to answer that question.  But If I were
you I would just buy a plane ticket and fly there.

Hope some of this has been helpful.

Betty Jean

At 05:58 AM 4/3/98 +1000, you wrote:
>Dear Betty Jean
>Thanks for your prompt reply. My query about Cymatium (Monoplex) intermedium
>(Pease, 1869) was prompted by reading the title of a forthcoming paper in
>Toxicon 36/1, pp. 25-29 (1998) "Presence of a toxin in the salivary glands
>of the marine snail cymatium intermedius that targets nicotinic
acetylcholine receptors", by DJ West, EB Andrews, AR Mcvean, MC Thorndyke,
and JD Taylor

>I presently work with venomous cone shells studying toxins that target the
>nicotinic acetylcholine receptors, hence my interest in another marine
>species that is reported to have toxins with this activity profile (see
>http://grimwade.biochem.unimelb.edu.au/~bgl/content.htm  AND
>http://home.vicnet.net.au/~rsvinc/ord397.htm
>
>I am not sure whether it is allowable to export live specimens from Hawaii
>to Australia, but will make enquiries. Do you know ?  If not allowed, I will
>have to make arrangements to work with a lab in Hawaii and extract the venom
>from the Cymatium there and export the venom or purified toxins. Either way
>sounds like a perfect excuse to visit Hawaii. Mmm now have to save up for

>something else :)
>
>Thanks for your information about the book by Henning and Hemmen. I will
>obtain it. As you rightly say "-The more I learn, the more I realize how
>little I know.-"
>
>Cheers,
>
>>>Bruce, Dianne, Andrew and Erica LIVETT
>>>48 Nicholas Street
>>>Ashburton
>>>VICTORIA 3147
>>>AUSTRALIA
>>>=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
3D=
>>=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
>>>Telephone at home : +61-3-9885-2947
>>>Work: +61-3-9344-5911 Fax: +61-3-9347-7730
>>>Email: [log in to unmask]
>>>=20
>>-
>Bruce, Dianne, Andrew and Erica LIVETT
>48 Nicholas Street
>Ashburton
>VICTORIA 3147
>AUSTRALIA
>Telephone at home : +61-3-9885-2947
>Work: +61-3-9344-5911 Fax: +61-3-9347-7730
>Email: [log in to unmask]

Betty Jean Piech
Hockessin DE,USA
_@/-The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know.-\@_