From:
"James C. Frank" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 21:43:49 -0400
This is exactly what I am referring to, and am no way am I trying to attack
the scientific/learning community.  You folks are an excellent resource for
this kind of information because you care about the places these objects of
your affection come from.  I am working on this project as a simulation for
my class, so really, publication is long down the road, if it ever happens
at all anyway...  besides this, it is important that you all realize that
the point of the paper is to discuss a method of assessing the populations
of target species (food species) for better regulation of stocks, which in
the long run allows for more biodiversity on the reef, and a greater
production than can be maintained by the exploitative methods used today
(diving at night with full SCUBA gear for example).  I have heard numerous
accounts of the need for divers to use SCUBA as a result of the exploitation
that's already occured in the inshore areas.  Protecting reefs means
protecting every species, no matter it's economic significance on a global
scale, and protecting every species preserves these resources for the
future... look at Strombus gigas... look at the Tridacnids...  These species
were (and still are) under such high predation by us that they have had to
be farmed and restocked.  By assessing these animals populations and
dispersions now, we can prevent such situations from occurring in other
species down the road.

I hope this puts what I'm doing into perspective well enough.  So, you have
my word, I am not trying to bash the collection of shells.  I am merely
trying to promote a better method of managing them as a resource for
developing nations.

Thanks again.
-James

                     James C. Frank
                     Marine Science Major - The University of South Carolina
                     Aquarist - Riverbanks Zoo, Columbia, SC
                     http://mudflat.geol.sc.edu/~jcfrank
                     (803)544-2683